Monday, August 16, 2010

Can I bring home live lobsters and cook them the next day?

I want to buy live lobsters on Sat about 6 pm and cook them on Sunday around 6pm. Is this possible and if so how do I keep them alive?. Oh..I'm going to travel about 2 hrs in the car w/ them, maybe in a cooler. Any ideas?Can I bring home live lobsters and cook them the next day?
Just keep them on ice. If they're fresh, they'll easily survive.


Lobsters love the cold. So lot's of ice in the cooler.


If they die, it's still perfectly safe to cook them within 24 hours.





http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1909612





You can cook it dead as long as it died within 24 hours or frozen after it died IE, lobster tails are bought dead).





From the site I sent you.





A lobster does not necessarily have to be alive when you cook it. The most important thing is that the lobster be kept at a cold enough temperature. It is also imperative that not much time has passed between when the lobster was caught and the time it died. The best way to know is to cook it; if the tail curls, the meat is firm and it is in one piece, then it is fine.





Sorry, Timid Women, we have a restaurant and we have a gourmet market and we abide by all the regulations.


As long as we received the lobsters live, and they die, we can indeed cook them within 24 hours without any health risk.





Again, Lobster tails are bought DEAD. A no brainer.


If a lobster came in dead, then of course we send it back only because we have no clue when it died.


Sorry, I love both you guys, but your both wrong.Can I bring home live lobsters and cook them the next day?
Tom is correct. It's what I was taught in culinary school. Websites,and people may have other opinions. That's fine. But when it comes to fish. They go bad very,very quickly once they are dead.





If I owned a restaurant and someone brought me in dead Lobster. I'd send it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment