Friday, August 20, 2010

Crayfish. My son recently emigrated to Oz where these are very popular but isn't sure how to cook them?

does he immerse them in a pan of boiling water like lobster or can he cook them on the barbieCrayfish. My son recently emigrated to Oz where these are very popular but isn't sure how to cook them?
You should find some authentic Cajun recipes. We *love* crawfish and have an endless amount of recipes for them. I've never had saltwater varieties of crayfish, but I would assume they taste the same or very similar.





You just have to be careful not to overcook them. They cook quickly and become chewy when overdone, similar to shrimp.





If he can get some Zatarain's Liquid Shrimp %26amp; Crab Boil, he might like it. It tastes excellent with crawfish. Start off light, because it will be really hot if you use too much.





I recommend he try them in a good etouffee, jambalaya, gumbo, or stuffed bell peppers recipe. You can use other types of meat in these recipes too.





That yellow stuff at the head is just fat and adds flavor to recipes, so don't waste it. =)





P.S. Adding cayenne pepper to a recipe does NOT make it Cajun.Crayfish. My son recently emigrated to Oz where these are very popular but isn't sure how to cook them?
If fresh then the salted pot of water can be done. Place the lid on after immersing and depending on the size , cook until orangy/red coloured. I usually fill a jerry can of the sea water to cook mine in but then I live close to a beach and I do this to avoid adding salt and the taste is that little fresher still.
You mean saltwater crayfish? YUMMO. My grandfather had a cray boat in Western Australia and my earliest memories was of my nanna cooking up fresh crays in boiling water. She would have fresh crusty bread and butter and we would eat warm crayfish sandwiches with lemon, salt and pepper. So good!
I cook mine like shrimp, usually, dropping them in boiling water.





I've also killed them by spearing them behind the head, and then pulled the tail meat out, rolled it in cornmeal, and deep-fried them.





I imagine they could be barbequed as well.
any method of cooking works. They can be boiled/baked in the shell, de-shelled and barbecued/sauteed/fried etc. They're pretty much the same as prawns/shrimps.





Also, the shells make a good fish-stock.
go here it gives you quiet a few recipes


http://crayfishking.com/prep.htm
His best bet is to ask a neighbour.
yes to both ? %26amp; u can get them over here in rivers %26amp; lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment