Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is it better to cook lobster dead or alive?

I bought this lobster from the grocery store the other day that I plan to cook this afternoon. Since I don't have any water container big enough for the lobster, I put it in the toilet (don't worry I made sure nobody accidentally flushed it).





Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how I should kill my lobster friend. Should I kill it and then dump it in the boilin hot water, or should i just plop it in the boiling hot water alive?





If you think I should kill it then plop it in, please give me ideas on how to inhumanely kill it. I want to have fun with this. Be creative. Like, maybe I should attach it to one of my fireworks (I've got a shed filled with them in my back yard), or maybe I should drown it... Even better, maybe I should electrocute it! Hahaha! What are your ideas??Is it better to cook lobster dead or alive?
Once animals like lobsters and crabs die they have a short window where the meat is still good. If left too long an enzyme is released into the meat and ruins it. Put it in a cold place like the fridge for a while, this will put him in a sleep state. Take a knife and plunge it into the area an inch behind their eyes, this is the brain. It will instantly kill the lobster, then immediately throw it in some boiling water. Good luck.Is it better to cook lobster dead or alive?
There's a lot of debate about whether or not lobsters feel pain, as I work in an open kitchen, I cook my lobsters as humanly as possible. It sounds cruel, but this involves plunging a knife through it's head to kill it quickly and cooking it immediately. I don't know if it helps the lobster, but the guests seem to think so.
If you put it in the toilet, then you killed it. Lobsters are salt water animals, and fresh water will kill them.


lobsters must be cooked live, once they die they start to rot.


Lobsters will stay alive if kept cool and *damp*.


I am skeptical that you actually did buy a lobster though.
Don't kill it first. Just plunge it into the boiling water. Some times they have little pockets of air trapped by their internal membranes and when they hit the water the membrane ruptures and the escaping gas whistles. It sounds like the sucker is screaming.
If you eating steamed lobster, cook it alive.








If you are eating lobster pieces in a sauce then kill it with a knife between the eyes and remove meat and saute the meat.
i think you need to buy it alive, then kill it using a barbecue stick or the a trussing needle then stick this to its eyes and push it through the length of the head. then cook it. that is how le cordon bleu london taught their students.
It is always better to cook you lobster while it is still alive and you should just place the lobster in a pot of boiling water steam for ten to fifteen min then your ready to eat
Humanely... Add your lobster friend to a sink of ice water, this makes them go into suspended animation, while he is sleeping, plop him into that pot of boiling water
You should never cook a dead lobster. The lobster should be alive just before you cook it. If you kill it, then you should immediately cook it.
Kill it first, then cook it thoroughly. It's cruel to do otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment